Five downsides to being on vacation when an unemployed writer:
1. People say things like: "But aren't you always on vacation?"
2. You spend most of your time searching for jobs, applying for jobs, speaking to recruiters, getting rejected, etc. rather than sitting by the pool.
3. If you are sitting by the pool, you're probably working on your novel and feeling bad about yourself.
4. If you are not working on your job search, or working on your novel, people wonder whether you shouldn't be, and whether perhaps the reason you're unpublished and unemployed is because you spend so much time on vacation.
5. You start counting the days until you can go home and finally relax.