Aug 26, 2010

Now what?

The second draft is done, but what happens next?  Questions abound from friends, family, loyal blog readers.  When can we read it?  When does it hit the shelves?  Are you writing another one?

God knows I don't have all the answers, but here's the skinny on the little rocky path my novel travels along.

The Dirty Dozen are still reading.  So far, I've had one in-depth report (from a high school English teacher, no less) but I'm still waiting for the rest of the feedback.  At which point I will hum and hah and ignore most of it because honestly I'm tired of fiddling with this damn story.  Then, with care and trepidation, I will put together packets of manuscripts, accompanied by brilliantly drafted cover letters and synopses, and trust the postal services to deliver them to dozens of agents.  Obviously, every one of those agents will immediately call me back with publishing offers, movie deals, and marriage proposals and I will become more famous than JK Rowling. 

Or not.

So, will you readers get a sneak peak at some point?

I don't know.  Maybe if you're very good.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to land myself a job that pays actual money that I can spend in real-life supermarkets to feed my ever-expanding waistline (no, I'm not pregnant, just perpetually hungry).  Actually, I should be trying to do that right now (my next interview involves preparing a 20-slide presentation... A splendid opportunity to take the old Powerpoint skills out for a spin).  But the sun has finally returned to New York and I just came back from a really long run and I have a dinner with friends soon and [insert random excuse here].

No comments: