May 17, 2009

Is anybody out there?

So recently I began to wonder whether there might not be others out there who had foolishly chosen to do the unthinkable and blog about consulting like - well, like normal people. Curious, I wasted a good hour or two on google and found nothing but self-congratulatory, how-to blogs that preached about the wonderous fun and oodles of cash that come with a job as a consultant. These blogs also typically tended to offer the uninitiated lots of advice about how to land one of these fabulous jobs.

Boring.

And also highly dubious. Most people loathe consultants (almost as much as they loathe lawyers, I'm discovering with dismay). In fact, my former client placed a rather mean-spirited anti-consultant joke (which they had obviously penned themselves, typos and all) right above the coffee machine. The next week we found a dead chicken nailed to the door of our team room.

Ok, I made that up, but the coffee machine joke incident really did happen.

What I'm saying is lots of people have a slightly more, ummm, balanced view of consulting than what I have been able to find on the internet, and that must include people who actually do this for a living.

Now, the reason for my failure to find any interesting, objective "A Day in the Life of a Consultant" blogs may simply be my inadequate research methodology (damn, I knew I should have taken that BM training on "How to Google Like You Mean It.") So, if any of you know of a blog out there that I might enjoy, and that might prove to me that no, I am not alone, there are other consultant bloggers out there that also have the occasional bad day, I sure would appreciate a heads up.

In return, let me share with you these few seconds of much-needed levity:



2 comments:

konfused said...

Check out http://gettingdrunkinfirstclass.com

N said...

Maybe this one?
http://dutchconsultant.baywords.com/?p=30